Concrete installation is more than simple mixing and pouring. Just like any other job, this has its complications and a fair share of challenges to face.
If construction is your forte and creation is your first choice then becoming a concrete contractor might be the job for you. Concrete installation is the first step to every construction. It is the strong foundation on which every skyscraper stands.
So, this in turn proves my point when I say that concrete contractors don’t have it easy. However, if you are up for the challenge then you have stumbled across the perfect article.
Sit back as in the excerpt below I will be discussing all the nitty-gritty details for becoming a concrete installation contractor, whether for small households or major commercial concrete contractors. Additionally, it will also include some pressing questions over the internet about this occupation.
What Is A Concrete Contractor?
Now a general assumption would be that you already know since you have stumbled across this article. However, for those who don’t understand completely, here is the answer.
A concrete contractor is an individual who oversees the entire process of concrete installation before the construction starts. This person will have a team underneath and they will be handling all the steps to build the base for the foundation.
From the pour to finish, it is all their work to supervise.
How To Become A Concrete Contractor?
Now coming to the most important question. Here is a step-by-step guide to become a concrete contractor.
You Have To Earn Degree First
This is the reason why I said, ‘it is not just about mixing and pouring’ because you cannot move forward without the proper education. There are two options for you to choose from, depending on your preferences.
You can either become a civil engineer or have a college degree in Physics, chemistry, or fluid mechanics. After your college degree, you can also opt for some special courses for concrete contractors.
The Contractor License And Insurance
Concrete installation, whether it is just for some small house or a big skyscraper, the work is the same and the work is quite the responsible one. So, from such a serious standpoint it is understandable that these individuals will need a license and insurance for every person who works underneath them.
The work being serious is also dangerous at the same time. Therefore, this is the reason why you need the following insurances to become a concrete contractor.
- Property insurance
- General Liability
- Commercial Automotive
- Worker’s compensation
- Equipment insurance
Qualifications Of A Concrete Foundation Contractor
As discussed before, the qualifications are the same. However, if you want to see to it that a good business has been set up then having a business degree, MBA or some extra course of business management would be the right thing to do.
Although business should be a choice, it is always advised to have a business course along with the other preferred ones. Because in the long run, you will have the will to open a business.
A concrete contractor is also popularly known as a cement contractor because cement is the base tool for your work.
How Much Does A Concrete Contractor Make?
To give you a benchmark of the entire thing, I will give you an approximate amount for the highest to lowest.
- The top earners have $98,000 [yearly] and $1800 [weekly]
- 75 percent of concrete contractors earn $80,000 [a year] and $1500 [weekly]
- The average earner have $69,000 [yearly] and $1200 [weekly]
- 25 percent of contractors earn $40,000 [yearly] and $700 [weekly]
What Are The Proper Steps In Concreting?
In short there are eight steps for creating a concrete installation. Hence, these are the steps that have to be overseen by the concrete contractor.
Which is clearing the site.
The shape or the form of the foundation has to be fixed.
The cement or the main ingredient for the foundation has to be made.
Placing The Concrete
Pour the wet concrete into the shapes till they are completely full. Whereas the wet material is being poured, move the concrete with shovels, rakes, and finally come along (special concrete rakes) to ensure there are no empty spaces or pockets of air.
Early Finishing Touch
Screed the top of the concrete with a large metal or wood board. Screeding aids in the compacting of the concrete, as well as the smoothing and leveling process. Then, using a float, compact the concrete even more, even out any high or low areas, and smooth it out.
Once most of the troweling (float or metal) is finished, the concrete can be finished. A “broom finish” is the most basic type of finish. A rough-textured surface is created by pulling a special broom across the concrete surface. To name a few, other types of finishes include stamped, textured, and smooth trowel.
What Is The Process Of Mixing A Concrete?
Coarse aggregates are positioned withinside the mixer first accompanied with sand first and then cement. Mix the substances withinside the dry state inside the blending gadget. Normally it needs to be a 1:5 ratio in three minutes. After right blending of dry substances, progressively upload the right amount of water at the same time as the blender is in motion.
Process Of Hand Mixing Concrete
Hand mixing should always be done on a clean and smooth platform, which is most importantly water-tight.
- A measured amount of sand unfolds evenly.
- The required amount of cement has to be dumped at the sand and unfold evenly.
- The sand and the cement are then combined in detail with a spade before turning the combination time and again till it’s of an even color for the long duration to be loose from streaks.
- The sand and cement combination is then unfolded out and a measured amount of coarse mixture is unfolded on its top. Simultaneously, the measured amount of coarse mixture is unfolded out and the sand cement combination is then unfolded on its top.
- The entire mass has to be combined as a minimum of 3 instances through the shoveling and turn over through twisting from middle to side, then again to the middle and once more to the sides.
- A hole is made withinside the center of the combined pile.
- Three-quarters of the entire amount of water required needs to be delivered while the substances are twisted to accumulate it closer to the middle with spades. The ultimate water is delivered through a water can outfitted with a rose head, slowly turning it again for the given time till a uniform shade and consistency are acquired at some stage in the pile.
- Five percent of the cement is required to be delivered into the blending device, while hand blend cement for the concrete is produced.
- The required PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) will be worn with the aid of using the labors and masons while blending and dealing with the concrete.
- The blending platform has to be washed on the end.
- Although being a concrete contractor, you will have access to every tool for doing the job perfectly, however, you should always be familiar with the basics as well.
Rules Of Concrete Pouring
According to the rule of thumb, align the formation in order so that the completed concrete floor will slope at a minimum of one-quarter inch for every foot of the journey. In different words, an eight-foot lengthy patio must be a minimum of two inches better on one end than the other one.
The factors that have to be kept in mind before concrete pouring is the shape, size, and finish of the formation. The minimum thickness for the concrete should be around 1.5 inches.
Check whether the formation is stable and tight before pouring the concrete solution.
What Are The Concrete Pouring Tools?
The concrete pouring tools are…
- A straightedge or Concrete screed
- A bull float
- Concrete rake or Kumalong
- Mag float
- Concrete boots
What Is The Minimum Curing Period?
The minimum period for curing the concrete installation is 7 days. In these 7 days the concrete contractor has to take care of the drying period and keep an eye on them.
The maximum curing period to get the maximum strength is 28 days.
Water curing also has to be checked and done at least three times in a day which again is a concrete contractor’s responsibility.
How Do I Start A Concrete Construction Company?
Here are the steps you should follow if you want to open a concrete construction company.
First of all, a business degree is very important.
- Then you have identified the market. Do you want your company to be for houses or huge commercial foundations?
- Remember to get the license and insurance correctly.
- Make a blueprint that can make a profit.
- Get the required materials and labor.
- Get a source that can start funding your business.
- Advertise for the final launch.
Being a concrete contractor is not an easy task, it has responsibilities and dangers. So, when you decide to become one, make sure that the correct education is taken and at the same time, the correct experience has to grow to get credibility.
Hopefully, this article was of help and will let us know your feedback, and send us more questions than we can answer next.