Every house in this world requires an efficient water management system. Gutters are an important part of the drainage system of any property. However, with societal advancements, people are often bothered by the question of how to install vinyl gutters in their homes? Even though rain gutters can be composed of all different kinds of materials such as aluminum, steel, or copper, vinyl pipes are a rising star in this aspect.
- 1 What Is A Vinyl Gutter?
- 2 Materials Required To Know How To Install Vinyl Gutters
- 3 Steps For How To Install Vinyl Gutters?
What Is A Vinyl Gutter?
Vinyl gutters are basically composed of a material known as polyvinyl chloride(PVC). This material is actually a synthetic plastic polymer. Being constructed out of PVC plastic, these gutters tend to be dent and corrosion-resistant.
Being a very light material, these gutters are easy to set up in homes. Their affordability in comparison is to other materials is also an advantage. Hence, due to all such quality features, these vinyl gutters are gaining much recognition among homeowners.
Vinyl gutters are generally used as a water discharge system and work quite efficiently to channel out the water. I can understand you are getting curious to know how to install vinyl gutters. So, let us look forward.
Materials Required To Know How To Install Vinyl Gutters
- Extension ladder
- Tape measure
- Chalk line
- Hacksaw or jigsaw
- Deck screws
- Gutter hanging brackets
- Gutter sleeves
- Plastic gutter downspouts
- End caps
Steps For How To Install Vinyl Gutters?
1. Measuring & Purchasing
- Before you purchase all the materials, it is important to draw out the measurements of your house.
- Firstly, the eaves of the roof should be measured before fixing the gutter.
- You need to measure, mark and note the lengths of every side and edge.
- Measure the angles around the edges and corners where the gutters need to be fixed using a compass.
2. Planning And Preparing
- Planning is a very integral part of any process.
- Decide where and how the water needs to be channelized.
- Consider the structure and layout of your home before initiating the plan.
- Get on a ladder and take a rough measurement of the length from the ground and the gutter run as well.
- Draw a layout for the plan of gutter installation.
- Include correct measurements.
- Decide whether to buy an entire kit or separate customizable parts for installation.
3. Installing Brackets
- Start constructing from the outer ends of the eave.
- The first bracket should be hung at the top of the eave.
- Using a drill, fix the brackets using 1.25-inch screws.
- Ensure to fix the brackets 3 feet apart from each other.
- Fix the gutter hangers.
- Now you need to drill two holes for downspouts.
- Set the gutter sleeves towards the end of the outer corner pieces.
- Mark the outline of the sleeves with a marker for being able to make the cuts.
- Drill holes at the corner of the markings and cut out pieces using a jigsaw.
- Slide the gutter sleeves in from the above with the rest of the gutters and set the corner pieces in place.
5. Installing The Downspout
- Using a drill or screwdriver, attach the downspouts on the edges of the roof with 1.25-inch screws.
- You need to connect each piece of downspout to completely install the downspout pieces of guttering.
- The tapered ends of the downspout pieces must be slid into the wider ends.
6. Fixing The Gutters
- Using hangers to support various sections, fix the sections of the gutter into the outlets.
- Cut out the gutter sections using a saw to adjust its size for fitting along the walls.
- Join the gutter sections with connectors using a slip joint made up of a plastic material towards the end of every 10-foot length.
- The downspout outlet to the gutter to the outlet now needs to be secured.
- Next, the downspout elbows need to be joined to the outlet and its tubes arising above the gutter.
- Choose the proper size of the drainpipe section to fit in between the elbows.
- Using the same brackets used for the gutter sections, fix the drainpipe along the wall.
- Gutter guards are like jackets composed of metal mesh to get set over the gutter for completion of installation.
- This allows a smooth flow of water and prevents dust or dirt from clogging it up.
7. Managing And Maintaining
- It is quite essential to maintain an annual gutter cleaning schedule.
- This will make sure of efficient functioning of the system without having to be repaired.
- Having gutter guards reduces the effort required for cleaning the gutters.
- Get on a ladder every now and then and make sure to remove the fallen leaves and twigs that are clumping the gutter.
- Even try to remove or clean the downspout where large pieces of dirt might have been stuck.
- If there are serious clogging issues, try to gush down some water through the gutter using a hosepipe.
- You must also take a careful look and check for leaks or drips.
- To keep the gutters working well, get to fix or reconnect the loose sections with screws.
There you go with all the instructions that you needed to learn about how to install vinyl gutters. There are great reasons as to why you must set up vinyl gutters. This will not only act as a great water discharge system but also has many exclusive features that make it the best choice as DIY gutters for homes.
However, once you enter the market, you must ensure that you are purchasing good quality vinyl material for your gutters. It is very simple to install. Thu, neither would you need any massive assistance to fix it nor would it require any hefty expenses. So, when are you going to install your own vinyl gutter?